About the position
- Category: Agriculture – Forestry, Social Work, Resources & Environment, Advisory
- Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Deadline: 15th June 2023
- Type of Contract: Full-time
- Report to Regional Carbon Advisor
The Wildlife Conservation Society, founded in 1895, has the clear mission to save wildlife and wild places across the globe. WCS’s goal is to conserve the world’s largest wild places in 16 priority regions, home to more than 50% of the world’s biodiversity. We currently manage about 500 conservation projects in more than 60 countries.
WCS has been working in partnership with the Royal Government of Cambodia since 1999, providing technical advice and support for the conservation of key habitats and species across the country.
The WCS Cambodia program is growing rapidly! We are expanding our team and are looking for applications from qualified candidates to fill the following position. Detailed job description of the position is attached.
The Forest Carbon Technical Advisor will collaborate with a range of internal and external stakeholders, including: landscape-based field teams and managers; technical support teams (e.g. GIS/Remote Sensing team); Senior WCS Cambodia Management Team; local to national government authorities; Validation and Verification Bodies (VVBs) and the Verra Secretariat; project investors and credit buyers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project Development and Monitoring:
- Support the analysis and development of new AFOLU opportunities throughout the WCS portfolio of landscapes.
- Lead the design, collection and analysis of all data and information required to successfully achieve project validation and verification according to the requirements of the VCS and CCB Standards. Ensure data collection and analysis represents most up-to date scientific findings and best-practice approaches.
- Engage with specialized consultant firms (when appropriate) to develop all necessary project documentation (PDs, MRs, etc.) to achieve validation and verification for WCS REDD+ projects.
- Participate in national REDD+ policy processes and establish WCS as a port of REDD+ policy and technical excellence.
- Provide policy and technical advisory support to MOE as requested.
- Closely follow the development of the national REDD+ jurisdictional system to maximize potential value to WCS’s REDD+ projects.
Project Marketing and Funding:
- Support the development of project marketing and promotional materials for use by WCS and external REDD+ marketing firms.
- Act as principal liaison for REDD project information requests from WCS’ external REDD+ marketing firm, as well as existing and potential credit buyers.
- Lead or contribute to client-specific reporting (as appropriate)
- Seek out and develop grant funding proposals supporting project outcomes.
- Collaborate with and train, where necessary, REDD+ Technical Advisor(s) and landscape field teams to collect necessary project data/information and monitor key project indicators.
- Establish competencies of REDD+ Technical Advisor(s) and landscape managers to lead on the ongoing monitoring and verification of REDD+ project achievements.
- Master’s degree in forestry, environmental science, geography, conservation or a related field.
- Prior experience and familiarity with the design and implementation of large, landscapelevel forest conservation and rural development projects.
- 4+ years’ experience in the assessment, development and implementation of forestry and land-use projects, preferably for the carbon markets under the VCS and CCB Standards.
- Strong analytical and writing skills; extreme attention to detail.
- Professional experience in project management and project reporting.
- Demonstrated professional-level fluency in both oral and written English is required.
- Ability to travel to project sites, as required, for extended periods.
- Prior experience with the development, validation and verification of AFOLU projects under the VCS and CCBS.
- Experience in proposal development and grant reporting
- Communication skills in Khmer
- Demonstrated GIS and Remote Sensing competencies
To successfully satisfy the requirements of this position, you should:
- Have good personal organizational and priority setting skills, with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities.
- Be capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player, with initiative and creativity.
- Have a demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple stakeholders in a culturally diverse setting and build project alliances.
- Value information sharing and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
How to apply
WCS provides competitive salary and benefits packages based on educational background and work experiences. Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply by emailing an application letter and CV (by combining into single PDF file) together with salary requirements and the names and contact information of three references to email provided in the contact details. Closing date for application is 16th June 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
For more information, click here.