About the position
- Position title: Senior Officer, Solar and Energy Efficiency
- Reports to: Program Manager, Cool and Solar project WWF Cambodia
- Location: Phnom Penh with travel to field office as need
- Start date: June 2022 (3 Years term, 1-year contract with extend)
- Deadline: 02 May 2022
WWF-Cambodia is part of WWF Asia Pacific Region, WWF International and has been working
in Cambodia since 1990s to conserve the country’s biodiversity and build a secure and
sustainable future for people and wildlife. WWF works with government, industry and civil
society partners to ensure that Cambodia’s forests, rivers and wildlife are protected and
conserved for all. We aim to support the country in realizing their shared vision of a poverty free and ecologically-rich.
WWF globally works to initiate, accelerate, and sustain the transition to efficient, renewable,
and sustainable energy systems all over the world. To achieve these goals, we work to redirect
investment towards renewable energy, to demonstrate renewable and energy efficiency
solutions in practice, to help communities and businesses access renewable energy, and to
ensure sustainability and fairness of the transition
The Senior officer position is an opportunity for an energy engineer to catalyse a more
sustainable tourism sector in Cambodia. The engineer will play a key role in the
implementation of the “Building Back a Climate-Friendly and Inclusive Tourism Sector in
Cambodia”. This project focuses on introducing solar and climate-friendly cooling solutions in
the tourism sector in Cambodia, working with hotels, eco-resorts and community-based
ecotourism sites. This project is part of the initiative ‘Cool and Solar’, a global WWF initiative.
The solar and energy efficiency officer will provide technical expertise to tourism actors (large
and small players, on-grid and off-grid), on how to reduce their energy use and to use solar
electricity, thereby saving money and carbon emissions. The senior officer will work in
collaboration with solar energy companies, tourism actors and project consultants. The senior
officer will also support the project manager on writing reporting and monitoring documents,
as well as producing communications products of the project.
The senior officer will also contribute to WWF’s overall efforts toward expanding Cambodia’s
renewable energy and energy efficiency portfolio.
A. Technical support to tourism actors on sustainable energy
- Advise management of hotels and eco-resorts (on- and off-grid) on implementation of solar PV solutions. This may include:
- Advise management teams of hotels on implementation climate-friendly cooling solutions
- Advise community leaders and residents on potential solar options, and help implement solutions
- Design and implement training courses
B. Relationship management
- Undertake outreach and networking with solar energy and energy efficiency stakeholders (e.g. solar companies, utilities, regulators)
- Work closely with WWF’s Mekong Flooded Forest field teams on introducing sustainable energy solutions to MFF communities
- Support the sustainable energy advocacy portfolio in collaboration with the SE Lead and in close consultation with WWF Cambodia Office and relevant network experts.
C. Finance management, reporting and administration
- Support project reporting, in collaboration with WWF Cambodia’s monitoring and evaluation professionals, and WWF-Switzerland
- Support procurement processes quickly and efficiency in partnership with WWF Administration and Finance teams
- Support project manager with budget monitoring and management with Cool and Solar Cambodia
- Provide liaison with the administrative and logistical support to the wider energy team
D. Communication and outreach
- Support the development of communication materials and events in collaboration with the communications team and with support from communication officers, including newsletters, posters (including behavior change tools), social media contents, flyers, briefings, and videos.
E. Knowledge management
- Create technical briefs on key subjects for tourism stakeholders
- Keep abreast of technologies and process improvements for tourism stakeholders
- Identify consultants to deliver training and deliver knowledge products
Qualifications and requirements
Education and Experiences:
- A degree in engineering, ideally electrical or industrial engineering
- At least 2 years implementing solar and energy efficiency projects
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Sound knowledge of sustainable energy technologies, particularly solar PV and energy management.
- Experience in relationship management.
- Good communication skills in both written and spoken English essential.
- Good communication skills in Khmer an advantage.
- Strong problem solving skills needed to produce results in a challenging environment.
- Ability to work proactively and effectively with various stakeholders and mobilize their active participation towards the project goals.
- Ability to operate independently and with limited supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to react swiftly and in a timely fashion to opportunities to advance the project objectives.
- Sound knowledge of Cambodia’s political, economic and social contexts an advantage
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging Identifies and aligns with the core values of the WWF organization: Courage, Collaboration, Respect & Integrity;
- Adheres to WWF’s brand values: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging;
- Demonstrates WWF behaviours in ways of working: strive for impact, listen deeply, collaborate openly and innovate fearlessly.
Email WWF-Job Application Form, your CV and Cover Letter (max. one page for Cover letter) at email@example.com
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a deadline.
Application need to name the position title when submitting application under the subject in email. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. Women, Ethnic Minorities and people with Disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply and will be considered regardless of the requirements of the position.
For more detail job description and application form, please visit the website.