About the position
• Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
• Deadline: 01/19/2023, 11:59 PM
• Language Requirement: Khmer and English
• Job Schedule : Full time
• Contract Duration : 1 Year
UNDP Cambodia Country Office works in partnership with the Royal Government of Cambodia (RGC), nongovernment organizations, civil society organizations, community-based organizations, multilateral agencies, bilateral donors and private sector to support the progress towards the Cambodia SDGs. To support the implementation of the Country Programme 2019-2023, the Policy and Innovation Unit plays an important role within the Country Office to develop high level policy and technical advisory support to the government, as well as provide technical assistance for implementation of portfolios/projects. Its work is guided by three sets of strategies: 1) research, policy and innovation, 2) advocacy and 3) programming. The Unit is expected to contribute to as well as deliver results under three main programmatic pillars: 1) Prosperity, 2) Planet and 3) Peace and Participation.
Over the past two decades Cambodia has realized exceptional rates of economic growth averaging over 7% prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, with persistent declines in poverty and rapid improvements in human development. Yet Cambodia faces several development challenges. Pressures stemming from Cambodia’s rapid progression as a Middle-Income Country (MIC) have tended to be resource and carbon intensive, resulting in environmental challenges and natural resource depletion. Moreover, the country is facing the impact of climate change. As Cambodia is recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic, there are opportunities for a more sustainable and resilient development pathway.
UNDP Cambodia has been playing an important role in supporting the development and implementation of environment and climate change related policies and strategies of the RGC. The current priorities of the Nature, Climate and Energy (NCE) programme include: 1) turn climate commitments into action; 2) increase access to electricity and promote sustainable energy solutions; 3) promote nature-based solutions to enhance natural resource management and reduce deforestation; and 4) advance Cambodia’s transition to a circular economy.
Some of the major on-going or planned initiatives include:
- Integrated Natural Resource Management (INRM) project: it aims to promote integrated natural resource management to ensure the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, natural resources, and ecosystems in the northern region of Cambodia.
- Biodiversity Finance (BIOFIN) project: it aims to catalyze investments in nature that protect biodiversity, create jobs and livelihoods, and secure a sustainable future for people and the planet.
- Global Biodiversity Framework Early Action Support: it aims to fast-track readiness and early actions to implement the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework by aligning Cambodia’s national target, NBSAPs, policy frameworks, monitoring frameworks and finance with the Global Biodiversity Framework.
The Biodiversity and Natural Resource Management Officer will perform the following key functions:
- Coordinate technical project support with government and stakeholders for the ongoing works related to biodiversity and natural resource management (including sustainable financing).
- Support coordination of policy dialogue processes on natural resource management and biodiversity conservation (including sustainable financing) with government, development partners, private sector and CSOs.
- Contribute to the government and UNDP’s processes of programming and pipeline formulation related to biodiversity and natural resource management (including sustainable financing).
- Support partnerships building and knowledge management.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Biodiversity and Natural Resource Management Officer will be supervised by the Environment Policy Specialist (Sustainable Financing and Natural Resource Management). S/he will be based in the Policy and Innovation Unit, but will work closely with personnel in the UNDP Programme Unit as well as the Ministry of Environment (in particular, the Department of Biodiversity). S/he will regularly liaise with colleagues within the Country Office, consultants, and partners.
Coordinate technical project support with government and stakeholders for the ongoing works related to biodiversity and natural resource management (including sustainable financing).
- Contribute to the design of roadmaps and annual work plans of activities related biodiversity and natural resource management (including sustainable financing).
- Design and coordinate key activities related to biodiversity and natural resource management in partnership and consultation with the Ministry of Environment and other relevant stakeholders.
- Develop ToRs of and supervise relevant consultants, and provide quality assurance.
- For projects assigned, ensure fund are made available and proper use of project resources in line with UNDP’s Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures
- Prepare quarterly and annual project progress reports according to their respective reporting guidelines/ requirements.
- Monitor and keep track of project implementation progress and project risks.
- Support organization of project board minutes and follow up on the implementation of recommendations made by the board.
- Conduct and coordinate regular field visits with counterparts to monitor field activities and assist with the organization of visits, the preparation of back to office reports and supervision missions from cooperating institutions.
- Provide technical advice to Ministry of Environment for the implementation of the broader biodiversity portfolio (also beyond UNDP projects).
Support coordination of policy dialogue processes on natural resource management and biodiversity conservation (including sustainable financing) with government, development partners, private sector and CSOs.
- Collect, compile, analyse and interpret NRM and biodiversity conservation related data, thorough research of the evidence-based issues in the country and production of relevant reports.
- Preparation of analytical document and background information on NRM and biodiversity conservation for the policy dialogues within the overarching UNDP policy framework.
- Support policy dialogue on NRM and biodiversity related issues with the government, development partners, civil society, the private sector; contributions to development of policies as relevant.
- Make sound contributions to knowledge networks through identification of best practices, lessons learned, and other related communication materials.
Contribute to the government and UNDPs processes of programming and pipeline formulation related to biodiversity and natural resource management (Including sustainable financing).
- Assist UNDP’s team to formulate concept notes, project proposals and full project documents including information materials in consultation with relevant stakeholders.
- Contribute to UNDP’s resource mobilization efforts with donors, private sector, government and other global and regional resources.
- Facilitate consultations required for the including Internal Project Appraisal Committee meeting, Local Project Appraisal Committee Meeting.
- Support the Ministry of Environment in identifying and pursuing partnership and resource mobilization opportunities for the broader biodiversity portfolio (also beyond UNDP supported projects).
Support partnerships building and knowledge management.
- Assist in identifying opportunities for strengthening partnership with key stakeholders on NRM and biodiversity conservation under the guidance of the policy specialists.
- Coordinate and organize stakeholder meetings/events/workshops to discuss priority issues within NRM and biodiversity conservation with key stakeholders.
- Assist the Country Office and the Ministry of Environment to explore the potential for partnerships to mobilize sustainable financing for biodiversity and natural resource management.
- Support the preparation of inputs from the CO to policy briefs/position papers that address NRM and biodiversity concerns, in collaboration with other practices such as governance, poverty reduction, gender, and capacity development.
- Contribute to the development of knowledge products in the areas of NRM and biodiversity conservation.
- Lead development of communication products related to assigned projects, such as project briefs, success stories, blogs etcetera.
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness and efficiency of UN biodiversity and natural resource management activities in the country, including short, medium and long-term planning, improved business results and client services. They also impact on increasing Governments’, partners’, and civil society and communities’ awareness and knowledge of the linkage between nature-based solutions and development. Accurate analysis, presentation and knowledge sharing promote timely positioning and readjustment of UNDP programme management.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional and Technical competencies:
Business Direction & Strategy
- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organise, prioritise and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Partnerships Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies.
2030 Agenda: Planet: Nature, Climate and Energy
- Ecosystems and Biodiversity: Conservation and Sustainable use of biodiversity, land, forests and oceans
- Ecosystems and Biodiversity: Natural Resource Management
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in environment and NRM, environmental science or related disciplines.
- Master’s with at least 2 years or Bachelor’s with at least 4 years of relevant professional work experience on issues related to environment, natural resource management and/or biodiversity conservation.
- Prior experience in project management and development.
- Experience in liaising/collaborating with multi stakeholders including the government, NGOs, private sector, and CSOs.
- Proven knowledge of the country’s institutional framework and policies related to biodiversity and natural resource management.
- Prior experience and knowledge on biodiversity finance, access and benefit sharing of biodiversity and Poverty-environment nexus are assets.
- Experience in resource mobilization: Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources is an advantage
- Working knowledge of spoken and written Khmer and English.
How to apply
Note: This position is open for Cambodia nationals only
You need to apply online.
For more detail Click here