About the position
- Location: Phnom Penh, frequent travel to provinces
- Report to: Head of Programs
- Start date/effective date: January/ February 2024
- Deadline: 15th December 2023
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit, determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation.
WaterAid Cambodia was established in 2014 and has ambitious plans to work with a range of stakeholders to support the sector aim of reaching universal sustainable access to sanitation and water in Cambodia by 2025. WaterAid Cambodia’s program is based on influencing and sees system strengthening as the key to bringing about sustainable change.
Our Vision: WaterAid’s vision is a world where everyone, everywhere has access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
Our Mission: WaterAid’s mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving sustainable access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
Our Values: Our values define our culture and are at the very heart of WaterAid – who we are, what we do and how we do it.
Respect: We treat everyone with dignity and respect and champion the rights and contribution of all to achieve a fairer world.
Accountability: We are accountable to those whose lives we hope to see transformed, to those we work with and to those who support us.
Courage: We are bold and inspiring in our actions and words, and uncompromising in our determination to pursue our mission.
Collaboration: We work with others to maximize our impacts, respecting diversity and difference in the pursuit of common goals.
Innovation: We are creative and agile, always learning, and prepared to take risks to accelerate change.
Integrity: We act with honesty and conviction and our actions are consistent with openness, equality and human rights.
Explanation of the role
Program Manager – Universal WASH requires a dynamic person who can motivate national and sub-national government partners and stakeholders to strengthen systems for sustainable sanitation services and facilitate collective learning. The position requires someone with well-developed advisory, facilitation, coaching, documentation and critical thinking skills who can collaborate and work with a diverse range of people, particularly sub-national government.
The Program Manager – Universal WASH will lead WaterAid Cambodia’s work toward achieving universal access to WASH services. The Program Manager will actively engage in policy and strategy discussions at the national level to enhance the enabling environment, leading to improved WASH services for all Cambodians. The program manager will support all program coordinators within the systems strengthening team to enhance sub-national leadership, accountability, institutional development, coordination, planning, financing, monitoring and service quality improvement. The Program Manager will draw lessons from these sub-national programs to address system bottlenecks at the national level and influence universal access to WASH services in areas beyond WaterAid’s target provinces.
The Program Manager – Universal WASH leads the systems strengthening team to build on the team’s values-based culture of adaptive management and learning and raise the profile of WaterAid Cambodia as a role model of systems strengthening within the WaterAid Federation and global WASH sector.
Duties and Qualifications
- National sector influencing and advocacy
- Team Leadership and development
- Learning and Knowledge Management
- Sub-national advisory support
- Grant Management, reporting and compliance
- Organisational responsibilities
- Bachelor’s qualification in social sciences, community development and development management or other relevant discipline.
- Masters level qualification and qualification in rural development, governance, development management or WASH-related fields are desirable.
- Five to ten year’s work experience in a related field.
- Managing development programs at scale.
- Providing advisory support to government counterparts at national and sub-national level.
- Establishing and managing partnerships with local government, private sector and local NGOs.
- Managing knowledge and M&E systems, including use of digital platforms.
- Development and delivery of advocacy strategies to bring about change.
- Knowledge and skills
- Governance issues at national and sub-national levels.
- Issues relating to system strengthening in the WASH sector.
- Detailed understanding of sub-national planning and budgeting processes.
- Knowledge of current decentralization reforms.
- Ability to transfer knowledge and skills to others.
- Documentation skills, drawing on program learning and presenting to various audiences
- Strong computer literacy.
- Strong communications skills in Khmer and English (both written and verbal), good editing skills, and ability to tailor communication materials for different audiences
- Personal qualities
- A collaborator and a networker able to generate collective impact.
- Able to form and maintain influential relationships.
- Willingness to learn and ability to think creatively.
- Well-organized and delivers products on time.
- Strong interpersonal skills and supportive behaviours.
- Strategic-minded and results oriented.
- A strong commitment to gender sensitive, inclusive and pro-poor development work.
- Commitment to Child Safeguarding, program and grant safeguarding and to WaterAid’s values.
- Willingness to work within an organisational framework in the spirit of mutual trust and respect.
- Ability to travel regularly to target areas.
How to apply
Applications for this role must comprise of:
- An application letter addressing the selection criteria outlined above (maximum two pages);
- A curriculum vitae (maximum four pages). The CV must include three professional referees (referees will not be contacted until after interviews, with permission from the candidate).
Applications that do not address the Person Specification and the page limits will NOT be considered.
For more information: Click